Is dryer vent really important? what are the five common problems with dryer vents? and how to maintain your dryer vent.
Why should we clean our Dryer Vent? Well, if your dryer vent isn’t working properly, then you are not only wasting energy but also risking fire hazards. It’s not uncommon for people to forget about their dryer vent until they have a problem like a burning smell coming from their home. This can be really dangerous, especially when you consider that a dryer vent can get extremely hot! If this happens, you don’t want to find yourself trying to put out a fire inside your home. You could end up getting hurt or worse, losing your home completely. So, what do you need to know about cleaning your dryer vent?
Dryer vents are designed to carry away any moisture that comes off of clothes being dried in the machine. But sometimes, the air flow through these vents becomes blocked and doesn’t work properly. When this occurs, moisture builds up inside the duct system and begins to heat up. If left unchecked, the build-up of hot air can cause the dryer to overheat and start a fire. The best way to prevent this from happening is to regularly check your dryer vent and clean it out.
1. Cleaning your dryer vent can help prevent lint from building up inside the duct system. This build-up could cause serious problems if not properly cleaned out. Lint buildup can restrict airflow causing a backdraft that could result in carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is colorless and odorless but can be deadly at levels less than 5%.
2. A dirty dryer vent may attract rodents, insects, birds, reptiles or other pests. These animals could carry diseases that can harm your family or pets. In addition, they can damage your dryer vent and create additional work for you to clean them out.
3. Dryer vents can get clogged over time. If this happens, it’s best to have a professional repair person come out and clear out the blockage before any damage occurs.
4. Dust and debris can collect in your dryer vent over time. This dust can be harmful to your lungs and eyes. When cleaning your dryer vent, make sure you wear protective equipment like goggles, gloves, and a respirator mask.
5. Your heating unit may benefit from regular ventilation. Ventilation helps keep heat circulating throughout the home. Heat rises, so keeping your heating unit well ventilated will help ensure that your home stays warm.
6. Dirty air filters can reduce the efficiency of your heating unit. With proper maintenance, a dirty filter should only need to be changed once per year.
In conclusion, I would like to say that cleaning your dryer vent is not only good for your health but it can save you money too! If you are having issues with your dryer vent clogging, then you should consider getting it cleaned out. Dryer vents can get really dirty over time, especially if you live in a humid climate. This can cause problems with your heating system and could even lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. You don’t want to have to pay someone else to come out and fix this problem, so make sure you do it yourself.